Discover Downtown’s colourful history, outstanding architecture, and must-see landmarks on a free, historical walking tour with the Core Crew!
Summer Tour Guides: Downtown Business Association
Is your go-to karaoke song Downtown by Petula Clark? Are you unapologetic about your love of Downtown Edmonton? Do you Instagram photos of yourself against Downtown murals? If this sounds like you, then you might be just the kind of person we’re looking for to join our Core Crew program.
The Downtown Business Association (DBA) is hiring four full-time post-secondary students to act as Downtown Ambassadors for our Core Crew program. Core Crew members prepare and deliver engaging and interactive Downtown tours that give participants an opportunity to experience, learn about and connect with Downtown.
Downtown Ambassadors are welcoming faces who know Downtown streets and businesses like the back of their hand. You’re also interested in local history and Downtown’s rich arts and cultural heritage. You have no problem talking to strangers and helping at different Downtown events and festivals, even on the occasional evening and weekend.
- Review existing Core Crew tours and activities and make recommendations to revise and develop new tours for summer 2019.
- Plan and conduct daily guided walking tours of Downtown Edmonton.
- Assist with community events, festivals and outreach activities throughout the summer.
- Act as street ambassadors and a source of information for downtown patrons, businesses and residents.
- Work with the support and direction of DBA staff and Capital City Clean-up Program in maintaining a clean and safe environment for Downtown patrons including reporting unsafe conditions, graffiti, poster removal and cleaning issues in Downtown.
- Maintain database of Downtown businesses.
Competencies and skills required
- Experience in customer service and able to work with the public.
- Responsible, self-motivated, capable of working independently with minimal supervision.
- Team oriented with excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of Downtown Edmonton history, businesses, events, restaurants and attractions.
- Applicants must meet the physical requirements of the job which include but are not limited to standing and walking for prolonged periods or time, lifting, pushing and pulling a weight of 40 lbs.
- Able to work outside regular business hours, including evenings and weekends as needed
- Minimum two years’ guest service experience in marketing, recreation, tourism, hospitality, or tour guide setting an asset
$18 per hour, 30 hours per week – May (start date flexible) until August 23, 2019
How to apply
Email your resume along with a cover letter that includes to Tracy Hyatt, Marketing and Communications Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Competition closes Friday, April 5.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only suitable candidates will be contacted.