10360 102 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5J 1B9
Witness the spectacle of ice carving live in ICE District Plaza! Eight teams will carve 15 ice sculptures in 34 hours and then the public will have the chance to vote.
You can watch these winter masterpieces come to life by visiting ICE District Plaza. The artists start by stacking the 300lb ice blocks and masterfully shape them into magnificent carvings using chainsaws and chisels. Each carving is made exclusively of water, ice, and snow, and judged on artistry and technique. A champion will be chosen on Thursday January 26 and these sculptures will remain for visitors to ICE District Plaza to enjoy.
Starting January 27, voting for the People’s Choice award will be available at: www.iceonwhyte.ca.
This year’s roster is comprised of some of the best ice-carving artists from across Canada and around the world:
1. Carvin’ Buddies – Scott Harrison from Calgary and Ross Baisas from the Philippines/Montreal creating Poseidon
2. Elegant Dream – Mowafak Nema from Iraq/Ottawa and Don Lowing from the United States creating Ishtar and the
3. Exotic Duo – Kee Gawah from Malaysia/Sweden and Fermin Gomez from Mexico/Calgary creating Easy Ride
4. Kram & Fflic – Clifford Vacheresse from Edmonton and Mark Berge from Courtney, BC creating Behind the surFace
5. License to Chill – Victor Dagatan from the Phillipines/USA and Andrew Zoller from Calgary creating The Flight of
6. Mad & Laine – Yann Blanchard from France/Calgary and Ken Harper from Ladysmith, BC creating Snack
7. The Prairie Dogs – Larry MacFarlane and Brad Froehlich from Winnipeg creating Maestro
8. Steve & Rusty – Steve Buzak from Edmonton and Rusty Cox from Fairmont Hot Springs, BC creating Ocean Glider